Thursday, November 8, 2007

Please Confuse My Every Decision

I was going to post more about math, but I feel like this blog isn't about music enough. Mostly because stupid Keane isn't posting. Stupid Keane.

Speaking of Keane! He's an awesome guy. He just sent me Of Montreal's new album Hissing Fauna, Are You The Destroyer? And it's quite good. That's not all I have to say. It's really weird and at some points unapproachable, like Labyrinthian Pomp. It's just weird. I think it's trying to be funky, but just misses the mark, for me. However, I can't get enough of Gronlandic Edit. I think the bass line is incredibly funky, and when grating high note singing is immediately soothed by the neat harmonies. But I know that this song is too weird for a lot of people, so I guess I can't criticize them for being weird.

For the most part this album comes across as odd and funky and so it's what I want my music to be. (Holy shit, how can you not like A Sentence of Sorts? It's so groovy!). I guess the moral of the story is you can still make a great album that has a few bad apple songs on it. But bands, please don't. I like albums where I like all the songs! So next time, leave out the creepy shitty songs, and give me more funk.

On another note, we're going to see Born Ruffians and Caribou on Saturday. I've seen Born Ruffians before, and if you haven't, I recommend them. It's like if one of Frank Black and Issac Brock was lucky enough to be born a lady, and they had a funky love child. Plus Caribou! I've never seen him before, but apparently he has his Ph. D. in math! A fellow algebraic number theorist / musician, I never thought I'd see the day. Plus, he studied under a guy, who studied under a guy, who studied under a guy, who studied under Sir Andrew Wiles! Does that mean that by seeing him play, I helped solve Fermat's Last Theorem? Probably.

No comments: